858-755-5666 ext. 7215
- Willamette University College of Law, summa cum laude, J.D., 2006
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Ph.D. (History), 2003
- University of California, San Diego, magna cum laude, B.A., 1994
- State Bar of California
- All 4 U.S. District Courts in California
- State Bar of Oregon (inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
Matthew T. Racine is an experienced litigator who focuses his practice on representing clients in a variety of complex civil cases involving claims of catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, civil rights, and employment law violations in California. Mr. Racine has successfully resolved cases involving tens of millions of dollars for his clients throughout Southern California and beyond.
Representative cases include:
- Catastrophic personal injury – paraplegia and traumatic brain injury – suffered by foreign national while on school-sponsored trip to Tanzania (San Francisco Superior Court);
- Catastrophic personal injury to minor plaintiff claiming wrongful placement and supervision by County child protective agency (San Bernardino Superior Court);
- Catastrophic personal injury, including traumatic brain injury, of high school student struck in crosswalk in front of school (Orange County Superior Court);
- Personal injury alleging negligent supervision resulting in minor-on-minor sexual abuse (San Diego Superior Court);
- Wrongful death lawsuit involving the deaths of five teenagers during high-speed, single car accident (Orange County Superior Court);
- Class action lawsuit alleging routine and intentional civil rights violations of hundreds of motorists by a police department (U.S. District Court – Central District California);
- Wrongful death arising from high-speed police pursuit (Riverside Superior Court);
- Race discrimination claims against public entity employer (U.S. District Court – Eastern District of California);
- Sexual harassment lawsuit against employer and co-worker (San Diego Superior Court);
- Numerous cases alleging employment law and wage and hour violations (San Diego Superior Court and California Labor Commissioner).
Prior to joining Daley & Heft, Mr. Racine practiced at Garrett, Hemann, Robertson, P.C. in Salem, Oregon. While practicing in Oregon, Mr. Racine specialized in representing school districts and other public entities. He also drafted numerous appellate briefs, briefing issues on behalf of public entity and individual clients relating to issues of employment law, collective bargaining law, administrative law, and family law.
Mr. Racine graduated first in his class from the Willamette University College of Law in Salem, Oregon, where he was a member of the Willamette Law Review and received eight high paper awards, including those for Appellate Advocacy, Employment Law, and Legal Research and Writing. He has also earned a Ph.D. in History from the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is member of the Phi Beta Kappa society and a former Fulbright Fellow to Portugal.